Thursday, December 20, 2007

Game-A-Day: Classic - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom [NES]

Spoiler: The only thing related to Indiana Jones that I've seen is Young Indiana Jones.

The sad thing about this game is that it could have been really good. What brings it down is the poor graphics and counterintuitive controls. The graphics make what you're doing a bit confusing since you don't really know what level you're supposed to be at to swing across. And with the controls I keep on jumping down into lava instead of jumping forward. And, even though as I said earlier that I've never seen the movie in question (I really need to get on that), I get the feeling that if this wasn't based on a movie it would have had an intersting story. There's also the fact that I didn't know what the hell I was supposed to do until I actually went and looked it up.

I really want to blame the shortcomings of this game on the limitations of the system, I really do, 'cause, to paraphrase Jeremy Parish, bad games and good games hampered by the limitations of its time are easily confused, but I can't. This is just a plain bad game brought on by poor execution. Though, it's really not surprising considering this came from Tengen.

I give it a (very, very) generous low

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: